What's it all about?

this is my blog about luck, love, career and fashion. the most important aspects of a young woman's life... not necessarily in that order.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Weekend with the In-Laws

I had just spent a day with my mum as entertainment, a mood-lifter, call it what you like. I had made my mum happy. And so she had driven me home and I had invited her to stay so that she could see me make brownies (in the hope that she would take the recipe home and also try to make them). It was going well and I was in the final stages (and also most crucial) when the home phone rang. Argh! Erm... Mum, you have to pick that up, I can't! If I had stopped to pick up the phone it would have all gone wrong, there and then... We hadn't been expecting my boyfriend's parents until the next day but we had almost felt it coming (so that I had already cleaned the whole flat the day before). And ofcourse, it was the in-laws on the phone. My mum picked up: "Hello, this is Lisa's mum...", and on the other end: "Hello?". My mum again: "Hi, this is Lisa's mum. Lisa is baking and so she can't come..." My boyfriend's dad cut her off: "We're now in Wittenberg and my boyfriend is to call Gaby on her mobile phone." Now, bearing in mind that my mum has never met or spoken to my boyfriend's dad you can imagine the look on her face as she heard the phone go dead. I couldn't help but laugh: "Mum, don't worry. That's normal." And so the weekend began. In a mad frenzy my mum and I began cleaning the kitchen, washing up, tidying the living room, sorting away clothes, lighting candles. Roughly an hour before they arrived my boyfriend came home: agitated, irritated and not very happy. Not very happy about his day at work, not very happy about his dad and partner coming, not very happy that we were not going to have any alone time that evening. And he proceeded to not be happy about the fact that we had to go food shopping...

The arrival was imminent but neither drawn-out nor painful. Within a short period of time we had shown them to their room, caught up on the latest and done a tour of the flat. Speedily and with grumbling tummies we locked up and made our way to a little restaurant we had been craving to go to for ages. After a wonderful evening of delicious food, beer, wine, anecdotes and giggles we crawled home, fit for bed. But the evening was not over. We began to make beds, move furniture to make space for the mattresses for us to sleep on. It was half past midnight that I finally showed them where everything was for breakfast in the morning and fell into bed, utterly exhausted.

The next day was a work day so my boyfriend and I fled the scene nice and early leaving them to sleep in. It felt ok as I knew they had everything from fruit to juice and toast: we like being good hosts. I have to say I had a very long day... Enough said. And when my boyfriend called to say he was on his way I could hear the door go already and his dad was stood in the hall babbling at me about haircuts and food and his day... My stress was growing. I was still working and my boyfriend was telling me about his day when we were cut off. The next call I got was my boyfriend telling me to find a greek restaurant because his stepmum and son are hungry and want to eat somewhere. The hustle began. From searching for a greek restaurant to trying to convince my boyfriend to call the restaurant to try and find out whether it still exists to finding out where my mum was meeting us, if she was meeting us and so on, my nerves were wearing thin. But after sending them all off and spending a few minutes chatting to our hairdresser (and friend) before my mum picked me up and we drove to the greek restaurant we had found and booked I had calmed down and we were all able to enjoy a wonderful evening.

The next morning it all happened: at 7 a.m. I awoke to go for little girls and found blood all over the bathroom floor...

To be continued tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment