What's it all about?

this is my blog about luck, love, career and fashion. the most important aspects of a young woman's life... not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Artist and the Roaring Twenties

The roaring twenties are back. Though I haven't even seen the film I am already overwhelmed by the response of the fashion world to the new film "The Artist" by Michel Hazanavicius. This spring designers such as Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, Etro and Alberta Ferretti have already shown their inspiration with flapper dresses, fringes, gold, beads, low waists and cute details. The main character Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo) is a wonderful shape (not too thin) and the cheekiness in her smile really peps up the twenties look. And as the stars are the first to pick up the trend with the likes of Zoe Saldana, Camilla Belle and Evan Rachel Wood as pioneers, I have decided that it should also be made available for us normal people.

So, here are a few looks. The twenties saw a lot of dresses. The typical charleston dress is not one I own in my wardrobe but there are enough dresses that border on the twenties time. And let's face it: women couldn't always wear fringed, beaded dresses. They had "dressing-down" days.

1. Compilation: dark day dresses
The following are two dresses I own, that can be combined wonderfully with cardigans, tights and heels or dandy shoes for a more casual style. Ideal with a little hat and gloves and a tiny umbrella if the sun comes out.

Polka-Dot Dress Dark Blue: from my mother in law, White heels: vintage
Burberry checked brown dress: Zara, Brown dainty heels: C and A 

2. Compilation: dark evening dresses
The following two dresses are always a charm on a flashy night out. With the right accessories they are also perfect for the twenties look. See further down also for a make-up and hair guide. The dark dress with long sleeves is a fave as I would rather wear a dress that covers a lot than exposes everything! Nevertheless, it has a completely bare back (eek!) and has a sash that drapes around the hip. I team it with opaque tights to hide even more skin.

Dress with roses: vintage
Long-sleeved dress: H and M, Gold Sandals: Stradivarius

3. Compilation: light dresses
The two light dresses I own are both multitalents. No matter whether with boots or heels, they both seem to dress up and down. The most important thing with light dresses is accessories as the light material tends to put a few pounds on. But I like to stick to pastel rose tones as I have pale skin and if I go too light I look like a snowman! The silvery looking dress is actually a light mauve colour. The dress is from H and M with a long zip down the back, short puffy lace sleeves and an A-Line cut (good on a frumpy day). I normally wear it with black tights and a black heel but for the twenties look it would also look sweet with a boyish touch of black tights and black or light dandy shoes. Again, accessories, accessories, accessories!
The second dress has a large flower on each shoulder which is already quite bold but I team it with flowered tights, white shoes with satin ribbons (that I bought especially for them) and a necklace with rose quartz entwined in gold.

Mauve dress: H and M
Greek style pastel pink dress and Tights: H and M,
Belt and Necklace: vintage, Shoes: OSCO

4. Compilation: Business Look (a)
I think the twenties look finds most use in the office. However, I have extended the twenties idols such as Clara Bow, Joan Crawford and Mary Pickford to Coco Chanel (see here). She is a constant inspiration in everything I do and so she should deserve some mention here!
This look is the typical Marlene Dietrich style trousers, relatively high-waisted with a white, long-sleeves, high-neck blouse. The heels are my most comfortable with a chunky heel and budapester pattern. As the look is already quite intense I don't dress it up with accessories too much. But I love a little hat and big sunglasses to give me that Chanel feel.

Trousers: TopShop, Blouser: H and M
Shoes: C and A 

5. Compilation: Business Look (b)
This is not as twenties but I still felt it deserved a spotlight here today. The top has such a wonderul neckline. The picture is in fact the back of the outfit. This is because the detail on both the top and the skirt are exquisite and on the back! The tiny buttons of the blouse look dainty if teamed with little wrist-length gloves. And the skirt has a ruffle across the entire back which makes my bum look a little fuller! As it is quite a bland look, I combine it with a pearl necklace, opaque black tights and little PVC booties with matching buttons.

Top: H and M, Skirt: ASOS
Boots: vintage, Pearl Necklace: granny 
Accessories
I have put together a few scarves, necklaces and brooches to give you an idea of what I normally combine with my twenties look. I like the pearls but I also like the pompous glittery stuff like my necklace from Swarovski. The scarves are almost entirely vintage. Best bet for accessories is always going to a flea market. The greatest of treasures are there!

Assorted items: vintage

Make-Up and Hair
I absolutely love make-up. The twenties look is also a great one. Mainly darker lips and well-defined eyebrows. I like to make myself considerably paler and also make my lips somewhat more cupid like with dark liner. See below a look I did where I wore a turquoise (or mint) dress covered in white lace. The eyeshadow matches the dress which means the lips have a really great contrast and stick out a lot more.
Ideally the hair is in a water wave but considering that is one of the trickiest hairstyles, I love putting in a hairpiece and going for a bit of a rockabilly quiff at the front with tumbling curls at the back. Alternatively, a low bun with a strong middle parting works. And if none of that is your thing: wear a hat or a feather hairband.


Right then, a long blog entry today. But really thought I would get it all out there. Let me know if there are any questions, suggestions or otherwise. Enjoy the twenties look (although I think we may have to wait a while til the weather sorts itself out!).

Interesting Links:

1920s Fashion and the Roaring Twenties
How 'The Artist's' Fashions Are Impacting the Red Carpet

1 comment:

  1. Love the compilations: especially the Coco Chanel. would you wear a blazer with it? Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete