What's it all about?

this is my blog about luck, love, career and fashion. the most important aspects of a young woman's life... not necessarily in that order.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Passion for Fashion - ps. I love you

So, dear readers, I don't think I've written anything about fashion yet in my blog so I'm gonna make a start today. I've always loved fashion. It started as a young girl when, out of sheer desperation, I began sewing clothes for my barbies. I grew up in Portugal so you didn't really have toy shops with fancy barbie clothes. You pretty much depended on relatives and friends importing them when they came to visit. As I was so keen to play with my two barbies and it bored me to death to see them in the same clothes all the time I sat by my mum as she sewed clothes for her singing gigs for herself and bagged the left-over scraps for my own, hand-sewn, tiny, pretty barbie outfits.

During my university time I made my own ball gowns and ties for the men and even the costumes for our final performance. I loved it. I loved the creativity, the fabrics, how the dresses evolved and changed over the course of sewing them. And I still love it now although I don't have a sewing machine at home and I never sew things anymore. I guess I just don't have the time.

Instead I have kept my passion for fashion alive in my every day. Although I don't always dress up (especially not for work) I do love it when we got out or for a special event when I get my best frock out and spend my time on my hair and make-up and relish every minute of it. I don't really own expensive things, neither my clothes nor my make-up are fancy and expensive but the combinations always make the difference.
So I watched ps. I love you yesterday with my mum. And I have to say, Hilary Swank has never been a favourite of mine. But that film made me cry and laugh and gaze in wonder at her character's wardrobe. So feminine, light and still bold and special. And her hair: elegant and simple. So tomorrow I'm going to the hairdressers and have put together an outfit for my next "performance" ;) It's a mixture of fifties petticoat, Audrey Hepburn elegance and Stepford's housewife.

Will keep ya posted. Am not up to date with the fashionworld at the moment. Saw Roberto Cavalli's show: interesting. But widening my horizon to Chanel, van Laack and Vivienne Westwood at the moment. How I'm gonna get them all under one hat yet, I don't know.
But I'll be sure to tell you soon ;)

And until then: here is the fantastic scene out of ps. I love you with Gerard Butler dancing. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment